Dr. Vasudeo S Rayate
Education: MD (medicine), Pune. FICA (USA), He taught for 25 years in medical colleges in Pune, Mumbai, Ambejogai and Solapur. With the aim to educate people, he gave lectures on the Radio on various subjects like Health Education, Nature Conservation, De-addiction and Naturopathy. Dr. Rayate is a lifetime member of the World Wildlife Fund, Shruti Mandir (Solapur) and Marathi Natya Parishad. He is a columnist for the daily Tarun Bharat’s ‘Arogya Shala’ (Solapur) and ‘Arogya Deepika’ (Solapur). He has also delivered talks (total 150) on the All India Radio regarding Health Awareness. In 1985, he was felicitated by the Lion’s Club (Dist. 323 D) for his work in conservation of trees.
Vihang Mandal, Solapur
Aims and objectives –
- Basic research on wildlife and nature conservation.
- Compile scientific information about the biodiversity seen in Solapur.
- Generate public awareness about the local varieties of birds and other living beings.
- Establish meaningful and positive dialogue about various Govt. / Non-Govt. schemes related to environmental issues.
- Arrange nature camps, trails, lectures and exhibitions.
- Encourage the youth (Graduates) for research on nature and environment.
Main programs conducted –
- Arrangement of the 16th State level Friends of Birds gathering (1997).
- Successful implementation of ban on the sale of wild lizards (Ghorpad) in local markets.
- Active participation in the census of Maldhok (the great Indian Bustard) carried out by the Dept. of Forests.
- Provision of Nisarg Katta, a monthly forum for nature lovers.
- Publish a checklist of birds in the Solapur region.
- Successfully organized many camps, exhibitions, presentations and lectures related to nature and wildlife.